December 22, 2016

12 days of blogging Christmas...day 10

      Tonight I introduced my son to Charles Dickens's, "A Christmas Carol". We saw the 2009 movie.
He liked it, but hey...What can I say?  It wasn't Pokemon.
 

I actually carry on with the tradition of watching Christmas movies during this time of year. Few days ago we saw Home alone 3, for the 47th time. 
   
    The most important thing is that, at the end, he understood the idea: he understood that one has to give something back, that one can change lives if they care enough.
 
    I was, however, impressed once more by Dickens's idea, over 170 years ago. I read it first while I was in high school and loved it...over 170 years ago :-P Then saw a million movies based on it.
    How wonderful to write a story of kindness and humanity by turning to the three regions of time: past, present and future.
  The novella talks about change - the main character, "a squeezing, wrenching, grasping, scraping, clutching, covetous, old sinner" changes into someone capable of love, joy, generosity, and compassion.
    I'm someone who does not believe in people, who lacks trust, who always sees the bad first, but I am capable of appreciating genuine good things when given to me by the right people.
 Otherwise, I wonder if I need to see my own ghosts...



No comments:

Post a Comment